Sunday, October 03, 2004
Horsing around today
Just a play on words but the Sunday Brunch fits into what I want to do today. Nothing serious. I do have to read a couple of chapters of homework, but I want to just continue on with a lazy Sunday.

Yesterday was almost a wonderful day. I managed to stitch for at least 2 hours. I'm almost finished with my WBRR. He needs a couple of highlight colors, legs and backstitching. He's real purty! The "almost" part comes in LSU totally blowing it again UGA yesterday. Thought I was going to have to shoot Husband and put him out of his misery.



Sunday Brunch
1) Have you ever ridden a horse?

Yes, and I've been thrown from a couple too!

2) What is your favorite horse story or movie?

My favorite horse story involves me and it covers a span of about 20 years! My junior year in High School a really good friend of the family asked me to accompany him to his senior prom (didn't realize how really good the friendship part was on his side). I practically grew up with his family in our church. I think I had his mother or his father almost every other year as a sunday school teacher! His father was a doctor and had this huge spread of land with a beautiful pond and they owned horses and some cattle. He invited me to go riding with him the week before the prom and we were having a blast out by the pond, until my horse spooked and I got thrown. It happened so fast, that I was sitting on my rear before I even had time to try to calm the horse, and of course the sucker took back to the barn. While we were walking back to the barn I joked with him that if he had changed his mind, he only had to tell me, not burr my horse so I'd get thrown. He just patted my behind and told me it was a test of my fortitude. I didn't know he'd told his parents what I said and for years after that they would tease me that if I'd had a better seat I would have been their first daughter-in-law. They were a wonderful family and while I loved him (and them) to death, I don't know that my feelings would have ever turned that direction. This was in 1976. A couple of years ago when we were in Japan, my phone rings, I answer it, and this man asks me if I'd ever been thrown from a horse! It was him! He was in the Navy Reserves and was doing some training in Japan and called my mom before he left to get my phone number and that of my sister, since she and her husband were stationed there too. It had been so many years since I talked to him. I wished he had been on the same island so I could have seen him.

3) If you had the means, would you own a horse?

Oh yes, even though they're really not good for anything other than eating you out of house and home, Husband and I are determined to have a couple when he retires.

4) Do you think it would be neat if we went back to everyone traveling by horse and buggy or just an inconvenience?

Wouldn't that be neat! But, it would be inconvenient because of the way our travelways are set up. It would be cruel too. There are so many people in this world that can't properly take care of a dog or cat, I cannot imagine the horrors of that many people owning a horse. There's so much work involved, and money, and ... I don't even want to think about the fertilizer aspects of it!

5) Have you ever ridden in a hansom cab?

I think I have but I really can't remember.
 
posted by Terri at 8:02 AM |