Friday, August 25, 2006
Is there a 12-step program for this?
I really have a stash overload problem. I’ve tried to stay on the wagon many times in the past and have failed miserably after only a short period of time. I’m also trying to pay off my debt but my stash buying problem is not helping. I am paying it down, but could do it a heck of a lot faster if I’d quit buying stash.

I recently got into an email discussion with another stitcher who is in the same boat as I am. We have more than we could possibly stitch in our lifetimes. Now I know many other stitchers out there are probably wondering what the big deal is since they have more than they can stitch also. Well, it bothers me - almost to the point where I’m starting to worry about it. Now if I’m worrying about something as non-earthshattering as cross stitch there’s a problem. This is supposed to be my hobby. A thing that brings me joy, not keep me up at night!

Reality set in yesterday. Even though I’ve had the thought in my head for quite some time, a recent stash acquisition put it over the top. A couple of days ago I received a paypal invoice from an INS and happily paid it. Then yesterday I received another one and paid it as well, but I could NOT remember for the life of me what that order contained. How sad is it that it was THIS order? And to top it off when I opened my email this morning I found that the INS had issued me a full refund because I had already paid for the order with my credit card. Here I was paying for something that I had already paid for but I couldn’t remember what I was paying for or that I was paying for it a second time. I HAVE A PROBLEM.

I posted a couple of days ago that I am going to once again be working on my WIPs. Now I’m going to add to that. The other stitcher I mentioned above is also going to be doing something similar and I’m hoping her support will help me get through my plan. She has decided to not buy anything until she finishes 2 things she already owns. I have decided that I will not buy anything for 100 days. That means even if I run out of something I need for one of those WIPs you see in the left-hand column, I will not be buying whatever it is. I will just put that project aside and go on to the next one.

My only exception to this is framing and the 2 automatics I receive. I plan to frame each of the items I finish in the next 100 days. My stuffing finished projects away is bothering me as well. I'm spending all this money and time stitching things I really love only to hide them away. That has GOT to stop! I also received Blackbird Designs' Loose Feathers and Essy's Friends each month.

100 days. December 3, 2006. I’m scared that I won’t be able to do this, and that bothers me too. Is there a 12-step program for this?

I also want to thank you all for the wonderful comments about my stash cabinets and Strawberry Garden. They are more appreciated that you know and make me want to straighten out my stash so I can show you more of what is there, and to maybe freak some of you out by how much more is there!
 
posted by Terri at 11:06 AM |