Thursday, October 07, 2004
Movie Day, or maybe not.
I got off to a better start today. Out of bed at 6:30 sharp. The weather has remained cool in the mornings and I love it. Not only is it perfect snuggling weather, but also it puts me in the mood for oatmeal for breakfast! LOL I love the stuff.

The bad part to the weather turning is the marine layer. It is now sometimes so heavy in the morning the ground looks like it rained during the night. The air is so thick and when there’s no wind it just sits there until the sun burns it off. Sometimes this doesn’t happen until mid-morning. Makes for awful driving and the accidents increase.


My political comment for the day - I love living in military housing where there are NO political signs littering the yards, empty lots, roadways, etc.


I love candles! I used to try to light one every morning but made sure I did before I sat down to stitch, but I just noticed the other day that I couldn’t remember the last time I lit one. My all time favorite candle maker is Circle E and my favorite scents are Bird of Paradise, Peace and Orange Vanilla. I get an email from the company every month with their flavor of the month advertised on special. This month’s special flavor is Warm Cider. The Wicks ‘n Sticks at the mall carries this brand so I’ll have to see if they have this flavor so I can test it out. I always add one of these candles to my Christmas Wish List.


It’s Friendship recipe time of the year. I love the recipe I have since it shows you how to make it where you don’t’ have to share it if you don’t want to, or have run off all your friends. Plus it’s cinnamon bread, not the cake kind you have to use that plastic tasting dried fruit stuff in. I’m going to start a batch this weekend. I love coming into my kitchen and smelling the yeasty smell. I also start baking fresh bread this time of year, mostly for the smell! LOL Goodness knows I don’t need to be eating it. I have a recipe somewhere for sourdough. Maybe I’ll start a batch of that too.

Anyway, here’s my Friendship Cinnamon Bread recipe if you’re interested.

1 (.25 oz) pkg active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water (110°)
3 cups white sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3-cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

DO NOT REFRIGERATE
DO NOT USE A METAL SPOON
Cover with plastic wrap

DAY 1: Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix together: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Add yeast mixture and stir.

DAY 2: do nothing

DAY 3: stir

DAY 4: stir

DAY 5: add ½ cup milk, ½ cup sugar, ½ flour, and stir.

DAY 6: stir

DAY 7: stir

DAY 8: stir

DAY 9: stir

DAY 10: add ½ cup milk, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup flour. Stir, then pour 1 cup into new bowl and set aside as new starter.

Combine the remainder of the batter with vegetable oil, eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla extract.

Pour in 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 min.

If you want to make this to share, then on Day 5 and Day 10 increase amounts added in starter to 1 cup instead of ½. On Day 10, divide starter into 4 parts (1 for you to bake, 1 for you to keep and 2 to give away.


We're supposed to be going to the movies tonight, but that depends on Husband. He had a Marine in a bad motorcycle accident this past Saturday night and they've been shuffling him around from hospital to hospital. Husband finally pitched a fit yesterday and now he's going to Balboa to make sure his Marine is being taken properly care of. This poor guy was hit from behind by a hit and run going 100 mph. Fortunately witnesses chased the perp down and he was arrested. The Marine broke 3 vertebrae and a finger and the hospital that got him first released him on Monday because he could stand in a body brace. In addition to the breaks the poor guy has awful scrapes on both knees and his back and these morons were going to make him change his own bandages, and every time the guy tries to move he breaks the scrapes open again. I almost said to bring him home and I'd take care of him. His parents live in Illinois and it was even suggested he fly home so they could take care of him. HeLLOOOO! The guy has 3 broken vertebrae! He was transported to the base hospital in a civilian vehicle instead of an ambulance, then the base hospital said they didn't have anyone to properly change his bandages, etc. (it's a hospital!), next the Marine was sent to MCRD and put in an open squad bay type environment with no nurses or anyone to take care of him, and that's when Husband stepped up and started yelling at people. I wish I could have seen it, since he's such a calm and collected guy until you get him pissed off (which takes a lot, unless you're a fool). He's one of those who gets the neck bulging thing going on and he gets in your face :) First time I saw it I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. But I digress. Now the guy is being transported to Balboa and Husband is going to personally go down there and take the Commanding Officer with him, to ensure his Marine is going to get the medical care he needs.

So we may not be going to the movies!
 
posted by Terri at 9:06 AM |