Monday, June 20, 2005
Coppertone and fried bacon, yum!
Yesterday was Father's Day. Son and I took Husband out for breakfast at his favorite surfer cafe. It was packed with like-minded people and the tourists who have started to filter in. Nothing says Happy Father's Day like the smell of Coppertone and fried bacon wafting from the same table.

We also finished installing the other two ceiling fans (my room and Son's bedroom); Husband mowed, cleared out the flower bed and planted agapanthos (they look lovely); I repotted some houseplants, did the grocery thing, made homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner (domestic me!), bathed and pedicured Bandit.

I even managed a half hour phone conversation with my mom (after wishing Dad a Happy Father's Day). While I was home she was made an offer to switch jobs and was having a hard time deciding what to do. She's a fragrance "pimp" for the Liz Claiborne line and has been doing this for almost 15 years. Her District Manager was there this past week and freaked when she found out about that offer. She proceeded to offer my mom a promotion, which included financial and hourly increase. Mom is quite happy about that.

Before she got on the phone Dad told me he painted yesterday. I would have loved to have been there for that. I love to watch my dad paint. It fascinates me to see his thoughts come to life on paper and he sometimes 'thinks' outloud while painting. I can imagine him sitting under the trees in the backyard with water bucket at his feet, pallettes spread all around on various things while he's muttering under his breath about this and that, maybe painting a scene from a small Italian bay he visited with my mom many years ago. He has a great memory and paints instead of journals.

To cap the day off Husband shaved his head. I heard the clippers going when I was out playing with Bandit and wandered back to see him, head bent over the vanity, just buzzing it all away. I would have been happy with it the way it was, but he 'bic'd' it down to smooth baby butt skin. It will take some getting used to. He says he scares himself when he first looks in a mirror. My mom wanted to know did he also delouse himself and was he running around in stripes now! He needs a bit of sun so his new bald head will match the rest of him.

Today is my 24th anniversary. It feels like just another day. We normally go out to dinner and exchange gifts and cards, but this year that's not happening. First off, it snuck up on me and I don't have a card. Knowing Husband, he doesn't either, especially since when I told him Happy Anniversary this morning, his comment back was "Oh, that's right! Today's our anniversary." LOL The out to dinner and gifts thing was mutually decided since we're trying to cut back spending and save for a house.

Today is also the first day of summer term. Husband will be taking a History class on Monday and Wednesday nights, I'll be taking Torts on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Son is taking a math class Monday-Thursday. There will be lots of coming and going but not seeing until the weekend around here until mid-August.
 
posted by Terri at 6:44 AM |