Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Yesterday, Wow!
My quiet day was anything but. I ended up having to go to the courthouse to wait to see if the judge wanted to talk to me about a witness who’s refusing to appear after being served a subpoena and us agreeing to his timely notification terms. During the wait I was fortunate enough to sit through testimony of one of our expert witnesses and I am in awe of his ability to remember investigative information, dates which things happened and who said what when and why. It was so hot in there though, and I felt for the jurors. You could tell they were melting. You’d think they’d keep the temp more on the cool side since there are so many nervous people generating body heat in the court rooms. I think people can concentrate more when they're cooler, too.

I ended up NOT having to talk to the judge, but I did have to stand there while I was talked about like I wasn’t present. I hate that, but understand it so deal with it. Of course when I got back to the office there was a voice mail waiting for me from said witness tell me again it wasn’t going to happen when we wanted it to happen. Dumba$$. Now I have a recording of him refusing to appear and we can sic the sheriff on him. Boob...messed up my plans to do nothing.

Of course, it also messed up my ability to shop for the office so I had to drive again today. Traffic is always light on Monday evenings, except last night, but the rest of the week traffic is heavy in the evenings.

Last night there was a big rig full of mattresses that decided to catch fire right outside the exit to the base. Traffic was stopped for several miles back since everytime they put the fire out, it would start back up. Plus it was catching the surrounding ground on fire too. Fortunately I know my way around side streets, as do several other thousand people. I called Husband to tell him not to wait dinner for me and he answered the phone “take the PCH!” LOL I sometimes call him when traffic is slow so he can look online for me to see if he can see a problem. He thought I was calling to ask what was going on.

The fire was all over the radio though so I knew what was going on well before I got to where they highway was shut down. It took me 2 hours to get home last night driving approximately 12 m.p.h. The worst part, of course, was the closest to home since that’s where the accident happened. They were directing non-military people through the front gate, right by where I live, so I took a different road to go through a back gate. I didn’t know if I’d be able to get through since that gate normally closes at 6:00 p.m. and it was well past that time by the time I got there. Fortunately, they kept the gate open, and I’m sure it was to accommodate those of us who know about it and who “belong” on the base.

There was no way I could get back off base last night so I ended up not going to class. I hate missing a class for any reason, but this early in the term, with a substitute professor, and the 2 chapters we were covering were only 2 page long each, I didn’t feel so bad.

I was starving by the time I got home and was thankful for the leftovers we had. Then after joyfully pawing through the stash that arrived in the mail I stitched on my round robin piece while I watched a bit of TV about Katrina.

The stash, you ask? This stash:

The Prairie Schooler – Autumn Leaves

La-D-Da – Roses are Red

Hand to Work – One Flag (American flag alert!)

Black Bird Designs – Justice for All (another flag!)

Giulia Punti Antichi – Old Italian Sewing Set (I love the handwriting on the packaging, it makes it personal feeling - haven't had a chance to read the pattern and am wondering what the little tube shaped item is for)

Nostalgic Needle – Knots and Roses Pincushion (I have the perfect pink fabric in my stash for this!)

Nostalgic Needle – Ornament Collection (these mention a 10 year anniversary on the package)

Nostalgic Needle - Sampler Name Tag (I want to stitch this one first! Look at all the different stitches!)

Nostalgic Needle - Sampler Posy Collection

Homespun Elegance LTD - Patriotic Landscape (more cute sheep, and you know, me and my American Flags)

Shepherds Bush - Be Brave (I love this design, but I think I love the floral and flag fabric of the pillow more!)

La~D~Da - Bushel And A Peck (childhood memories, here!)

I think this is all, except my Loose Feathers, Essy’s friends and the 2006 JCS Ornament Issue. No more ordering!
 
posted by Terri at 8:41 AM |