Friday, August 13, 2004
I said farewell to two people today.

One of them a complete stranger, the other someone I know fairly well. Both made me sad and reflective.

When I was returning home from saying farewell to the one I know and running errands this morning, I pulled onto the freeway behind a black hearse. I didn’t think anything of it until I noticed red carnations were bouncing up and down in the back window. I immediately said a sad farewell to a complete stranger whom I can only assume was a warrior for freedom. The casket was flag draped. I tried to stay with the hearse and was disappointed that I couldn’t follow it to its final destination.

The other person I know quite well. He was an ‘illegal alien.’ Rudy came to work at the bookstore about a year and a half ago. He worked mostly on the evening shift, so we talked a lot when we were slow. I found out that he and a younger brother crossed the California/Mexico border illegally several years ago. They were on the waiting list to enter legally, but were told they had at least 5 years. Then when that five years got close they were ‘bumped’ because someone else’s family had money, or had connections and they were moved ahead of the less fortunate.

Over the next few years he got caught up in drugs and became a gang member and got into a LOT of trouble. He said the thing that made him change his ways was he couldn’t stand to see his mother cry. So he started turning his life around. When amnesty was offered to the illegals he stood in line and did everything he was supposed to do to be allowed to stay here legally. He started going to church, got a job (or two) and started going to college where he worked hard to make good grades. He tried out for the college soccer league and became a key player. (This past year he tried out for the Mexican professional soccer league, but did not make it.)

The consequences behind the events on 9/11 and his past transgressions caught up with him. Because of his past history with breaking the law, he was informed he was being deported back to Mexico. For 6 months he has been fighting this. Many people who had gotten to know him over the past couple of years wrote letters to judges and he spent a lot of money on attorneys, to no avail.

Yesterday was his last day at work. Yesterday was my last day at work. The store threw a small farewell party for the two of us, and when we all showed up for it, all that was left of Rudy was his apron/nametag hanging on the end of a box. He called a couple of hours later and I just happened to answer the phone. When I asked him why he left without telling me goodbye he said, “I just couldn’t.” When I told him he could have at least waved to me from across the store he said, “No, I couldn’t.” While it made me sad to hear this, it also made me feel like he was going to miss me as much as I would miss him. I transferred him over to the Operations Manager (who he has originally asked for). When she got off the phone she told me that he was going to come into the store at 8:00 a.m. this morning to tell the few people who would be there, goodbye. Even though I don’t work there anymore, I made sure I was there at 8. I waited for an hour, but had to leave for a 9:30 appt…. just as I was walking to the parking lot he pulled up and I got to say a private farewell and even got a couple of hugs. I made him promise to leave his email address with the Ops Mgr so I could stay in touch. I really want to know how things are going for him in Mexico.
Those who know me know that I’m very outspoken about the illegal residents of California and Texas. I have nothing against people who legally enter the US but the illegals suck our system of resources that should be going to the citizens of this country. I don’t like the amnesty thing either, and I’ve even had talks with Rudy about my feelings, but I’m glad to say that I think all people should be treated fairly and I’m sad that Rudy got caught up in ‘the system.’ Contradicting myself? Yup.

And for some completely non-depressing posting...I'm late with the QOTW :)

What would your stitching confession be?

That I sometimes don't like stitching anymore!

Did I really 'say' that out loud? I'm hoping that it's just a phase that has passed due to my really hectic past life....did I mention I'm on vacation and I no longer work for the bookstore? I can now be home with my family (and my stitching) 6 nights a week. I have a 6 p.m. Monday night class, and I just realized I'm going to miss Monday Night Football!
 
posted by Terri at 12:50 PM |