Sunday, May 27, 2007
An update!
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I miss all of you and it’s so nice to see a note from you all.

Husband has been diagnosed with moderate aortic regurgitation. He is not taking it well. It took forever for him to get his EKG back and then took forever after that to get a consult with a cardiologist. During all this taking forever he (and I) went through so many emotions. In addition to being a Marine, he’s an athlete. I almost think being an athlete is more important to him, especially so late in his career.

Everything we could find to tell us about AR dealt with people who had already had heart attacks, or had had open-heart surgery (the ONLY treatment for AR). To say this was infuriating is putting it mildly. So far he’s had neither. There are medications that can be taken for the symptoms, but he doesn’t have any, so that leaves the surgery.

Because he is an athlete, he’s fortunate. Right now there will be no surgery; however, he must wear a heart monitor during all of this activities. I think he’s trying to figure out how to wear one while surfing – LOL – although I don’t think it’s necessary. He’s going to be constantly monitored by the cardiology department.

As to what this can do to his career, right now nothing. His commanding officer was diagnosed with a heart something-or-other awhile back and he totally sympathizes with Husband. The CO is also a triathlete, although he hasn’t competed in a couple of years.

Over the past couple of weeks we’ve done all the research needed to find out just what benefits I would be left with if something happens to him (non-combat related) over the next year. Medical care is far better while he’s on active duty, so we’ve also been talking about him not retiring next year as scheduled, and him doing 30 years. Those that know me intimately can only imagine the stress that has caused me. I’m tired. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’ve cried buckets over the past couple of weeks thinking about this.

There has been one ray of sunshine during all of this. I graduated with honors on the 18th. It was a very fun ceremony and the commencement speaker made me want to take more classes. I tamped that down though, rather quickly. It has been odd wandering around the house trying to get it back into some sort of order, and decluttered, knowing that I’m through with that part of my life for now. I woke up this morning in a mild panic because I could remember what homework I had due for class this week!

I am embarrassingly behind on so many things….RRs, birthdays, etc. I humbly apologize and know that I am back to stitching again for the first time in months and am working as fast has humanly possible right now to get them all caught up in the order they’re due.

The puppies are doing great. Harley Quinn is now 7 months old and has so much personality. She's learned "down" and "sit" but she gets so excited that she sort of scoots on her behind on the floor because she can't sit still. We were thinking about getting her a little brother! LOL There's a male approximately her age that's in rescue right now and he's is precious; however, I don't think Bandit would be too happy with us.
 
posted by Terri at 4:45 PM |